Monday, May 9, 2011

Ambition



Aspire to climb as high as you can dream. I guess this goes along side the quote that if you dream it, you can do it. One of my dreams was to become a runner, and I'm doing it! I'm very happy with myself for that :) I didn't think of myself as ambitious before, but a few people have mentioned this in the past few weeks when referring to me, and I thought of it, and I guess I am. I like a challenge, I like to try new things. Sometimes it's not always for me, but at least I take the leap and try it right? :)


I'm starting a new job this coming Monday. I've been with my current job for 5 and a half years. I was comfortable, but a new opportunity came up, so I took a leap. We will see how I like it, hopefully it's great! I like change, so it should be good.


Back to running though. This past Saturday I ran 22km, my longest run ever. It took me about 3 hours and 10 minutes, which is a lot longer than I would have liked, but let me pick up for myself a bit here. My double-layer socks were dirty, and I didn't put any body glide on my feet, so I ended up getting crazy blisters that slowed me down big time. I was actually going to walk back home after 6km, but kept going. I also had a bit of a cold, and even brought tissues with me and had to stop to blow my nose a few times, lol. AND I stopped at a friends house for a few minutes to refuel, get more water, and have a pee break after 12km. So all-in-all, not too shabby I suppose. But boy oh boy my legs were sore afterwards! I came home and had a nice bath (not hot though, because cold is better to soothe your muscles after running!)


Only 27 more days til the Half Marathon in San Diego! From this past run I've learned some things. I definately have to bring some gels with me and put in my running belt. You have to have enough carbs (aka energy) in your body to do a run like this. At least at the actual race there will be tables on the sidelines with refuel items, which will be good. Also, I must wear my double layer socks and body glide. BTW - Body glide is excellent for preventing under arm chaffing when running with a tank top on. :)


TTFN!


Ashley

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog! I enjoy yours and well done on your long run! As for the best time to have gels in the half - I'm afraid it's very individual. Depends on what you've had beforehand as well. I like to have a light (not terribly fibrous) breakfast in the morning (bagel and PB) and then might have a gel half an hour before the start, and then maybe one after about 1 hour and then after 2? Make sure not to mix them with sports drink when chugging them down - it took me to my 8th marathon to work that one out... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete